In his latest tech column in the ABA Journal, Dennis Kennedy lists some of the benefits of cloud computing:
- Lower cost;
- "Levels of security, backup, redundancy and performance" beyond "the typical law firm";
- Updates and patches from the provider;
- Available from anywhere with web access;
- "A monthly service fee that you can budget for."
Cloud computing, which overlaps with software as a service (or SaaS) and hosted software services, is a hot topic of late. If you want to get quickly up to speed, here's a reading list, including Kennedy's, article quoted above:
- "Working in the Cloud: Tips on success with online software services," by Dennis Kennedy;
- "How Well Does Software Work as a Service?" by Brett Burney
- "Litigation and 'Software as a Service' (SaaS): The Perfect Marriage?"
- "Law Practice Management in the Cloud"
- "Practicing Law with SaaS," by Luigi Benetton